Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Thinking about Published Adventures

I am finding myself eagerly awaiting the new version of the "Tomb of Horrors" adventure that is coming out for 4th edition Dungeons & Dragons next month. For those not in the know, the "Tomb of Horrors" is a classic adventure from the high point of TSR. Also, it may be the single most deadly adventure I have ever experienced. The main reason for that is that it was originally made as a survival dungeon for the first Origins convention.

At any rate, my excitement over this adventure coming out has made me think. I have not used a lot of published adventures, preferring, instead, to use my own. I have played in many of those old adventures, and I think that there is a certain feeling that was in those adventures, a sense of wonder that I remember fondly. And I find myself wanting to share that with my players. And in particular for "Tomb of Horrors" there is the pride and bragging rights of being able to survive and make it through that dungeon.

So, depending on how this goes, I am seriously considering updating the older adventures myself, and see how my players do with the golden oldies of my youth. That is except for Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, as I am still a little too much of a purist to bring that sort of mix between sci-fi and fantasy to my own campaign world. As when I was 12, the idea of playing a dwarf with a laser gun was kinda cool... but now I am embarrassed that I felt that way. I hope that the same doesn't hold for my love for all the old adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment