Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Its been a long time...

I notice that I haven't written anything on this blog for nearly a year. My life has changed considerably in that year, as has my gaming, and I would like to talk about both.

I have returned to the work force with a new full time job, and my wife and I are expecting our first child, Simoné Alexandra Merritt, at the end of July. In a very short time, my life is being propelled rapidly into a new future.

With that in mind, it is interesting to note that my gaming has done the opposite: lept back into the past. Earlier this year, two of my players left my 4th edition D&D game, leaving me with only two regular players, and a somewhat sour taste in my mouth. I felt that I needed a change, and I felt that change leading me back to my roots: 2nd edition AD&D.

So I laid aside my bright and shiny new books, and even the world of Meaghana, and started fresh. I pulled out my notes on a 2nd edition campaign setting that I had never done much with, called up two other friends to fill out the group and plunged back in to the days of my youth... in part. My current life prohibits me from gaming as long or as regularly as I once did, and I find myself not as singularly focused on the game as I was then. However, I find that my new sense of perspective is making the game even more enjoyable for me. I am able to find the fun of the game, without many of the concerns and personality conflicts that characterized it over the past year.

Now, it may be argued that this is because of how the new group is changing the dynamics of the game, and that is likely at least partly true. But for whatever reason, I am finding myself enjoying my favorite hobby again without reservation, and that is a wonderful thing.

With this in mind, I am returning to this blog with a new focus. I will be looking more to older school gaming, particularly 2nd edition AD&D and my thoughts on returning to it after such a long time with Modern games. I hope that my new direction will be as enjoyable journey for you, as it has been for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment