Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Why a Roleplaying Blog?

I have been thinking a great deal about the above question, as I wrestled with the decision to create this blog. In support of the idea is the fact that much of my life has revolved around Roleplaying Games, and the people with whom I have forged relationships with around the gaming table. As such, part of me feels that it is only natural that I share with the world my thoughts and feelings on the topic.

However, I find that many people either do not understand what Roleplaying is, or have very twisted opinions of it, due mostly to second-hand information or interactions with the kinds of people who represent the worst of what those who call themselves "Gamers" are.

Realizing that this was actually a concern of mine, brought me to a stop. There are a large number of people who separate their gaming from the rest of their lives, as if it were something to be ashamed of. There have been numerous occasions in which I have decided not to tell people about being a gamer, simply due to the negative reaction I thought I would receive.

But that ends here: I choose to share my love of Roleplaying, and to recognize that I need to feel no shame for it. Roleplaying is an art, just as surely as acting or singing. I just hope that my sharing of my art proves entertaining and possibly educational for those who want to follow along.

No comments:

Post a Comment