Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Evolution of a Game World

I have been reading a lot about how people are reacting to the changes that Wizards of the Coast has made to the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting for the change to 4th edition. It has gotten me thinking about the changes that Meaghana has gone through since its first version.

The first long term campaign that was run on Meaghana started during an event known as the Chaos War, which lead to the campaign calendar being restarted in year 0 AC. The current campaign that I am near to ending is in the summer of 1073 AC.

Looking back on the last thousand years of game history, I am really astonished as to how things have turned out. With all the changes, some put into place by me and some the result of the actions of the players, I sometimes wonder how the original players would react to Meaghana circa 1073.

This leads me to thoughts of one of the best things about roleplaying games, a sense of belonging that is shared by the GM and the players. No one would try to argue that Meaghana is not my game world, but when I hear my players discuss the campaigns that have been played there, I can hear the sense of pride that they feel for having shaped the events that have made the world what it is today.

With that in mind, I can see what the people on the forums are complaining about and I am glad that Meaghana was not chosen when I submitted it to WoTC's Campaign setting search in early 2000's. The idea of turning over control and being made a stranger in my own game world is an unwelcome thought. And I would hate to have taken that sense of pride and belonging from myself and my players just for the sake of being published.

And so, I offer my sincere thanks to: Gary Gygax, Ed Greenwood, Keith Baker, Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman, Troy Denning, Bruce Nesmith and all of the other world designers that I have forgotten. You gave your worlds up so that countless people could enjoy them. I honor your sacrifice, even if I am unable to duplicate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment