Monday, June 28, 2010

Starting a new game

So it looks like I am going to be running a game of Hunter every other Friday. It is going to be interesting for me, as I have not run or played in a Hunter game before. But it does present an interesting line of thought for me.

Many of my players have played in White Wolf's world of darkness setting, the same one that the Hunter game takes place in. The problem with this is that in Hunter the players are supposed to be normal humans that know nothing about the supernatural being tapped by mysterious forces to become monster hunters. So it is up to me to come up with a way for this to happen, and it is a difficult question for any GM: how do you make the old new again?

The difficulty is not how to come up with random new stuff, but how to keep things interesting and new while maintaining the feel of the setting you are playing with. My general advice is to make the changes at both the small and grand ends. But on the grand end, you need to be careful to reinterpret, rather than recreate. By that, I mean choose a new way of looking at the info provided, rather than throwing it out and starting again, like you can do with the small details.

Reinventing your setting is a simple as playing devil's advocate with yourself. The best approach is to know your setting and continually ask yourself, "Yeah, but what if it works this way..." Continue to do this, and your campaign will stay fresh and vibrant, even to veteran players.

No comments:

Post a Comment