Sunday, June 20, 2010

For my Father

Today being Father's Day, I thought I would diverge slightly from my normal discussion of gaming and talk a little about my father, and his interaction with my gaming.

My father is not a Gamer. Although a fan of some fantasy and Science fiction, he has never really agreed with or understood my love of the game. That being said, he did consent to playing for a single session. I was about 15 at the time, and I was running a game for two of my cousins and my brother. As I did occasionally, I asked my father if he wanted to join us. To my surprise that day, he said yes.

In all honesty, I can remember very little about the specifics of the game, except that I believe my father played a wizard. But as I think about it, that session has stuck with me more than almost any other. Not because the session itself was particularly amazing, but that it was the day that my father entered my world, even though gaming was not a particular interest of his. Sharing that with him was an experience that I have a hard time putting into words; but that day I resolved that should I ever be a parent, that I would do my best to share in my children's joys and interests, just as he did with me that day.

My father has done more for me than I could possibly ever put into a list, but it is this instance that sticks out most clearly in my mind. My father was always a provider, disciplinarian, teacher and protector, but that was the day that I recognized that in addition to all that, he was my friend.

Happy Father's Day, Dad. I love you.

1 comment: